Newstar Drama Group was founded in 1993 at Kenya Institute of Mass Communication (KIMC) Nairobi and was registered in 1996 by the Ministry of Culture and Social services. The group is a traveling theatre group that has performed at many high schools, universities, colleges, primary schools, social forums and Kenya National Theatre. Newstar is a member of International Drama/Theatre and Education Association (IDEA).
VISION: To advocate for a better life on this earth as the educator to mankind like diseases, education, investment, human rights, good governance, community theatre and youth development.
MISSION STATEMENT: To tap, train and contract performing artistes e.g. Actors, actresses, playwrights, poets, narrators, comedians and theatre arts` directors.
• Educate the society on diseases like HIV/AIDS, malaria and health related issues.
• To promote environmental activities in schools and public forums.
• To perform current Kenyan examination-oriented literature SETBOOKS in high schools like “An Enemy of the people” by Henrik Ibsen, “The River between” by Ngugi wa Thiongo & “Utengano” by Said Mohammed.
• To champion for women empowerment and girl child education.
• To perform community theatre e.g. human rights, good governance, drug abuse awareness, poverty eradication, and development.
• To host and participate in international exchange forums like IDEA WORLD CONGRESSES among others.
• To organize international and local training drama workshops/seminars.
• Creative, educational, entertaining and informative plays, comedies, narratives, poems, skits, traditional dances & training workshops
• Live performances on Kenyan examination literature set books e.g. “An Enemy of the people” by Henrik Ibsen and “The River between” by Ngugi wa Thiongo in secondary schools in Kenya.
• HIV/ Aids awareness program in both learning and non-learning forums.
• Running peace building and reconciliation program.
• Junior artistes’ program (children drama 6yrs - 15yrs)
• International artistes training and attachment program (1 month to 6 months) in Kenya, i.e. we attach performing artistes to our group performing projects between 1 month to 6 months.
• Entertainment and educative drama program.
• Exchange program with other artistes’ groups to share experiences.