Day-to-day, the main role of our volunteering team will be to ensure all visitors to YMCA Fairthorne Manor have an experience that really embodies all of YMCA’s values: Welcoming, Active, Listening, Inspiring, Caring, Exciting.
During your time with YMCA, you will act as host to their groups, leading activities and games, running evening entertainment, ensuring the smooth running of our dining room, singing at campfire, playing in the mud with our toddler groups, welcoming families to events, be a pro at ‘doing the YMCA’ dance routine and generally making a huge difference to our community!
Behind the scenes you will ensure the smooth running of our large operation. Sometimes you may be helping to look after our beautiful woodland and grassland areas, maintain activities, putting up tents with our Estates team, helping out in the kitchen, making beds and much, much more.
Unterkunft und Verpflegung
You will be allocated a basic room, which (depending on its size) you will share with up to 4 other volunteers. It should also be remembered that this is a public facility and therefore Health and Safety laws do apply. This means it must be kept clean and tidy at all times with rubbish removed daily. FOOD: ‘Canteen style’ with a limited choice but with a vegetarian option. There is no ‘self’ catering option. Three meals a day are provided, which includes a cooked breakfast and / or cereals, lunch and a cooked evening meal. Meals are at set times. IMPORTANT: Please remember it’s not a 5* hotel. YMCA is more like a youth hostel with dormitory-style accommodation and basic fa
Lage und Freizeit
Fairthorne Manor is located in a village called Curdridge which is near the city of Southampton on the south coast of England. It is about 15 minutes’ walk from Fairthorne Manor into the village where there are shops and pubs. The nearest train station is Botley from where it is about half an hour’s journey into Southampton.
Wer organisiert das Projekt?
The YMCA Fairthorne is offering the opportunity to international volunteers to do an 7 and ½ -month project starting at the end of March 2021 that will provide you with valuable experience and training to run a variety of activities with children.
Here is what they say: “Each year we welcome thousands of visitors to YMCA Fairthorne Manor’s 94 acre site on the South Coast. The site includes sweeping grounds, mature woodland, a lake, access to the River Hamble and a range of exciting outdoor activities. It’s a place of firsts, whether it’s a toddler playing in the mud, being away from home, new activities or a school trip to remember. Enabling young people to grow and thrive is only made possible with the help of top-notch volunteers from around the globe. Can you help add the sparkle to everything we do? Volunteer with us to help support happy, healthy lives for all.”.
About the YMCA
The YMCA started in 1844 in London and has grown to become a worldwide organisation with 45 million members in 125 countries. The YMCA has adapted to the needs of today and works with all ages, races, religions and cultures. Each YMCA now operates on a local scale, delivering services that meet the needs of their local community, in keeping with the wider organisation’s values and aims. At YMCA Fairthorne Group, they are proud to be affiliated with the wider YMCA movement – the world’s largest and longest-running youth charity.
The YMCA Fairthorne Group operates throughout Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Southampton from 30 venues. Their programmes include 14 early years settings, school holiday Daycamps, community activities, residential centres, camping and housing for young people.
Part of the YMCA Fairthorne Group, YMCA Fairthorne Manor, provides a wide range of programmes on-site, including high quality childcare for children aged 0-5yrs, school holiday Day-camps, residential programmes for groups, a family campsite and community activities.
HOW TO APPLY:
• All applicants must request an application pack and send a completed VEF, YMCA application form + two professional references, including one from their most recent school/ college or employer.
• Skype Interviews: will be arranged individually
• After Skype interview, if confirmed on the project, they should send a certificate of good conduct /police check from your home country
UK VISA COSTS:
EU, EEA and Swiss citizens must apply for a VISA through the new UK points-based system taking affect from 1 January 2021.This is a tier 5 charity workers visa.
The cost for the VISA will be £189 for volunteers from the following countries:
Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden or Turkey.
Non-EU citizens must also apply for a tier 5 charity workers visa and the cost will be approximately £244.
In addition, ALL VOLUNTEERS (both EU and non-EU) will need to pay an immigration health surcharge (currently £624) to the UK Government when they apply for the VISA.
COVID 19 ARRIVAL IN THE UK:
As the situation stands at the time of writing this project description, volunteers (depending on country of origin) will have to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival at the YMCA. They will be provided with a single room to isolate in, with internet connection and personal bathroom and toilet. Food will be delivered to them in the room. During the period of self-isolation the volunteers will carry out an online training to be prepared for their role at the YMCA. Please make sure that you are ok with this arrangement and if you have any questions please let us know.
EXTRA FEE: £50 (GBP) - a small contribution to Concordia’s administration fees.
YMCA wants you as a volunteer if…
• You know how to have fun
• You want to make friends from all over the world
• You love being outside, come rain or shine
• You like working with children and young people and have some experience of this
• You want to help make a difference to our community
• You want to learn new skills, and improve the amazing ones you already have
• You like the idea of no two days being the same
• You love the idea of making children’s and adult’s stay with us one they will remember forever!
What you get in return…
• Full training and development opportunities
• 3 meals a day
• Free accommodation in shared dorm style rooms
• A volunteer expenses payment of £70 per week
• The chance to work with a really varied community
• Great fun in the great outdoors
• The chance to build friendships that last a lifetime
• Learn new skills to stand you in good stead for many careers
• Mentoring from our experienced staff team
• The opportunity to learn about and be part of a huge international YMCA movement
• A full outdoor uniform that is yours to keep afterwards
• Fun staff and volunteer social events.