Based at Fairthorne Manor, you will be part of the Programme Team and provide a range of activities and services to our community, including members, schools, families, Daycamps, nurseries and local groups. You will be trained to lead a wide range of outdoor activities including High Ropes, Water Activities, Bushcraft and Team Building activities to children and adults of all ages and abilities. You will host and support the various groups that use us, preparing accommodation, serving meals, marshalling events and maintaining the activities and Centre as a whole.
As a Volunteer Leader your main responsibilities will be:
• Being a welcoming and caring individual and an inspirational role model.
• Actively engaging all customers, providing encouragement and support.
• Working with and respecting others in a large and diverse team.
• Being responsible for customers welfare and pastoral needs during their stay.
• Assist in the delivery of the varying activities/events hosted & run by Fairthorne Manor, to include activity leading, site maintenance, housekeeping, catering, marshalling and other tasks to ensure a high quality experience for the customers.
• Be a role model of good practice and behavior to other Volunteers and staff and support them where necessary.
• Be aware of, and put into practice, all Health and Safety regulations.
• Have a working knowledge of Fairthorne Manor’s operational policies.
• Ensure the correct and safe use of appropriate equipment.
• Act in the interests of your own safety & the safety of others at all times.
• To follow YMCA Fairthorne Group’s Safe Guarding, Child Protection and Safer Working practice policies at all times. Taking any concerns regarding health and/or wellbeing to your line manager or senior management.
• Anything else reasonably requested by the management of the organisation.
• Current and relevant skills and experience working with children, youth and adults in a community/sport/education environment.
• A caring and welcoming personality, able to communicate well and engage with a wide range of people, including children, staff and group leaders.
• To be active and have a general level of fitness as much of the role has a physical nature.
• A genuine enthusiasm for working with children/families and members of the public.
• A genuine enthusiasm for the work of the organisation.
• Willingness to learn new skills and undergo training.
• As this post involves working with children and living on site, all applicants must be aged 18 years or older.
Previous experience and knowledge working with children, youth and adults in a community/sport/education environment is an advantage.
You will normally volunteer five days per week with two rest days (which may not be at weekends or consecutive days), some weeks you may be required to volunteer a maximum of 60 hours (during May, June and July – as this is our peak season), but your average should be no more than 45 hours per week, including evenings and weekends.
Unterkunft und Verpflegung
All Volunteers receive full board and on-site accommodation at Fairthorne Manor, FREE of charge.
You will be allocated a basic room, which (depending on its size) you will share with up to 4 other volunteers. It should also be remembered that this is a public facility and therefore Health and Safety laws do apply. This means it must be kept clean and tidy at all times with rubbish removed daily.
‘Canteen style’ with a limited choice but with a vegetarian option. There is no ‘self’ catering option. Three meals a day are provided, which includes a cooked breakfast and / or cereals, lunch and a cooked evening meal. Meals are at set times.
Please remember we are not a 5* hotel. We are more like a youth hostel with dormitory-style accommodation and basic facilities.
Lage und Freizeit
Fairthorne Manor is located in a village called Curdridge which is near the city of Southampton on the South Coast of England. It is about 15 minutes walk from Fairthorne Manor into the village where there are shops and pubs. The nearest train station is Botley which is about half an hour journey into Southampton.
Wer organisiert das Projekt?
After several successful years running a range of projects with the YMCA Fairthorne Manor. The YMCA is offering the opportunity to 10 volunteers to do a 8 month project starting at the end of February 2018 that will provide you with valuable experience and training to run a variety of activities with children.
YMCA Fairthorne Group is a community based charity with a serious ambition to grow our already successful social enterprise model. Our purpose allows people the opportunity to lead happy, healthy lives. We achieve this through bringing people of all backgrounds and abilities together in YMCA places and delivering effective programmes.
Fairthorne Manor, is an Outdoor Activity Centre that delivers activities and events to over 30,000 children and families each year on both a residential and day basis. The Outdoor Programme consists of a wide range of activities including High Ropes, Water Activities, Bushcraft and Team Building activities. Year round they offer children’s birthday parties, large community events, family open days, camping weekends and corporate team building days they also host community groups such as youth bands, church’s and counselling groups. During term time, they deliver a diverse outdoor education programme to school and community groups, whilst during the holidays, they run an enormously successful Daycamp programme for children aged 4 to 16 years, catering for up to 600 children per day. Fairthorne Manor delivers services and programmes 7 days of the week throughout most of the year.
YMCA FAIRTHORNE MANOR offers full and comprehensive training in all elements of running outdoor activities, which will last up to 7 weeks. Combined with work experience here at Fairthorne Manor, and depending on what activities you are most comfortable with, you might be able to get some National Governing Body Qualifications, such as British Canoe Union level 1 or ERCA.
During your volunteering period you will receive two days off in 7 (sometimes non consecutive) and in addition you will accrue 1 additional free day per month which can be scheduled with your line manager.
MOTIVATION LETTER, POLICE CHECK AND REFERENCES:
Volunteers will need to provide a certificate of good conduct/police check, motivational letter, and provide two references, including one from their most recent school/college or employer.
A phone interview will also be conducted. Volunteers will be provided with GBP 70 per week pocket money as well as food and accommodation.
Applicants should fill in a specific form for this project - please contact your sending organisation to get one or the UK Volunteer programme co-ordinator at Concordia.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS:
Closing date for applications is 8th January 2018 for visa applicants or 29th January 2018 for non-visa applicants. However, please apply as soon as possible to give you the best chance of confirming a space.