Anampe is a center for multiple attention for exceptional people and is classified by a
great diversity of disabilities, such as Down Syndrome, West Syndrome, San Felipo
Syndrome, Autistic Persons, People with Asperger, Moderate, severe, mild mental
retardation, psychological or mental problems, among others.
The community of Anampe consists out of youths, adults and adolescents who have
gone through difficult events in their lives, such as abandonment, abuse, drug
addiction, among others, from an age of 19 to 61 years.
Anampe has a group of professionals in four different areas. Those are: Occupational
Therapy, Industrial Arts, Home Education and Special Education. There are many
different activities occurring in Anampe such as days of recreation and sports, where
all the teachers meet at a strategic point and work with the group through outdoor
activities, recreational exercises, dance, movements or group work. Moreover, there
are schedules of assistance with the teachers every day of the week, where the work
together with the teacher carrying out projects, developing skills, performing playful
activities of fine and gross motor growth, among others.
Possible tasks for the volunteer:
• Hand out lunches and coffee or bread at coffee time.
• Help with cleaning tables and floors after lunch or coffee.
• Help with the arrangement of chairs in special activities for the population to
• Help with the cleaning of the house.
• Help in the kitchen with the preparation of the meal, cleaning of dishes.
If the volunteer has the initiative and skills, he can also ask permission to set up own
activities at the center, such as:
• Games, songs, etc.
• Playful activities
• Workshops (music, art, etc.)
• Foreign language classes (for example English classes)
• Classes of Lesco (sign language used in Costa Rica)